Air Transportation Options
MBS International Airport is located between Midland, Bay City and Saginaw, a convenient 20-minute drive from the Medical Center. Commercial flights are provided by United and Northwest airlines. Driving directions from MBS Airport are provided on our individual map pages.
Private Air Transportation
Private planes may use Jack Barstow Airport , just north of Midland. The airport has two runways, 3000 and 3800 ft. long for light planes. It is a five-minute drive to the Medical Center, although ground transportation is best arranged in advance.
Volunteer Air Transport Services
Several Michigan organizations provide air transportation when there is a financial need.
Angel Flight of Michigan serves the state of Michigan with 4-seater planes. Flight range is limited to 1000 nautical miles, but is dependent on pilot availability and weather. Angel Flight pilots donate their time, fuel and supplies to provide this service. Patient and one family member may travel together.
Phone: (248) 666-2567 or toll free (800) 296-3797
- Patient must contact Angel Flight directly to request travel
- Physician statement required. Angel Flight will fax the necessary form to your physician, which will confirm that the patient is able to tolerate a non-pressurized flight and that the patient is able to walk.
- Combined weight of passengers and luggage cannot exceed 500 lbs.
Northwoods Airlifeline serves patients living in Michigan's Upper Peninsula or Northeast Wisconsin. It is a non-profit organization funded through the private donations, the United Way and other human service agencies. Oxygen, intravenous medications and children traveling with a guardian can be accommodated. Northwood pilots fly four or six-seat planes and flight range limited to 500 air miles. Priority is given to patients in need of urgent care and where other means of transportation are not practical.
Phone: Toll Free (800) 311-1760 or for emergiences call the Dickinson County Sheriff Department: (906) 774-6262
- Physician statement required. Statement must request transportation due to patient's medical condition and confirm that patient can tolerate a non-pressurized flight, sit upright and is able to walk.
- Passenger weight must be less than 280 lbs.
Volunteer Mercy Pilots - Michigan serves Michigan residents and is based in the Lansing area.
Phone: (517) 627-4719
- Patient must be able to walk and must sit up during flight
- Doctor's statement required indicating that treatment is not available locally and that the patient can tolerate a non-pressurized flight, sit upright and is able to walk.
- A statement regarding financial hardship is required.