Construction is underway for a new Emergency Department on the site of MidMichigan Health Park – Bay at 3051 Kiesel Road in Bay City. The new 24/7 emergency department will open in late 2021 with all the capabilities of a hospital-based emergency department.
Growing Demand for Emergency Services
This project addresses several community needs:
- Emergency department visits are on the rise and use rates are higher than state and national averages demonstrating a need for additional access points.
- The majority of Bay County residents live west of the Saginaw River and many have expressed a need for timely access to emergency care on the west side of the river.
- Emergency visits related to mental health concerns and substance use have increased even more significantly, demonstrating a need for more local access to behavioral health services. One of our goals for this project is to integrate behavioral health and telemedicine into emergency and primary care, helping to address that need.
The new emergency department was designed with input from nurses, providers and other experts with more than 200 years of combined experience in delivering emergency care. We are building in many unique features that will enable us to provide faster, safer, more patient-friendly care, including:
- All-private rooms with natural light
- Curbside heated wheelchairs
- A heated ambulance entrance to prevent patients' body temperature from dropping during arrival
- Separate waiting spaces and specialized rooms with external airflow for safer care of patients with COVID-19 or other infectious diseases.
- On-site 24/7 CT scanning, X-ray and laboratory for faster results
- Coordination of care with on-site family medicine providers for prompt outpatient follow-up after discharge
This new growth in Emergency Services will create approximately 50 new positions at this facility when it is fully operational. Those who are interested in applying can view job postings at www.midmichigan.org/jobs