Philip A. Harris, M.D. Memorial Scholarship
Philip A. Harris, M.D., worked as an otolaryngologist with MidMichigan Physicians Group, specializing in diseases of the ear, nose, throat and sinus. He also treated associated glandular structures of the head and neck (thyroid, parotid, parathyroid), associated cancers, and sleep disorders that can be treated by surgery.
Dr. Harris took a diverse path to his medical specialty. He grew up in a small African nation, the Central African Republic, and later moved to Ohio with his family. He went on to study animal nutrition and pursue a degree in veterinary medicine at the Ohio State University. During his veterinary studies, the loss of a niece to a brain tumor led him to change his career path. He has devoted his medical career to improving the health of people affected by diseases of the head and neck.
Dr. Harris considered it a privilege to treat every patient that presented for care. He worked with each patient to understand the nature of their medical condition and to choose a treatment option. He believed it is important that patients have local options and access to the very best care available. Dr. Harris took pride in his work and was an active learner and educator. He was a teacher and participated in medical societies, multiple academies, educational courses and lectures in order to help educate medical residents and to assist referring doctors in providing advanced local care of disease of thyroid, sinus, cancer, sleep, ear, nose and throat.
Who Should Apply?
Eligible applicants must:
- Be a third or fourth year medical school student who is a first degree relative of an MidMichigan Health employee (active or retiree) at any one of the MidMichigan Health subsidiaries.
- Be attending any medical school in or outside of Michigan.
- Consideration will be given to third or fourth year medical students who have completed multiple clerkships at a MidMichigan Health subsidiary.
Electronic applications for the upcoming school year will be accepted beginning December 1 of each year with the deadline of April 1. Applications and support documentation will only be accepted electronically. To apply, complete the following steps:
- Complete the online Harris Scholarship Application. Please click submit button once. No longer accepting applications, please check back on December 1, 2021.
- You will receive email confirmation that application has been received.
- Submit letter of reference from a physician from a MidMichigan Health clerkship to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Subject Line - [Insert Your] First & Last Name - Philip A. Harris Scholarship Application
All items of the application are due in full by April 1. Applicants can anticipate a response regarding the status of their applications during the month of June. Any questions can be sent to email@example.com.
What is the Philip A. Harris, M.D. Memorial Scholarship
This $1,000 scholarship, established by the Midland Medical Executive Committee combined with gifts from many physicians, nurses, colleagues and community members to help fund third and fourth year medical students.
Purpose of Philip A. Harris, M.D. Scholarship
The Philip A. Harris endowment fund seeks to keep, attract and retain local medical students to the communities served by MidMichigan Health. Candidates should demonstrate characteristics of being a continuous learner and educator. In the words of Dr. Harris, they should “drink” from the ocean of knowledge alongside a talented team who will help them interpret information. Candidates should have a passion for teaching, a good mind for social justice, compassion for others, a drive to work for the common good and should have a heart of thankfulness for their teammates and for their personal support system. Lastly, candidates should demonstrate the “never give up” attitude.
Members of the MidMichigan Medical Center – Midland Medical Executive Committee will review, choose recipient(s) and award scholarship(s).