The Bernard F. and Melissa Anne Bailey Family Fund Health Care Scholarships
The Bernard F. and Melissa Anne Bailey Family Fund is a student scholarship program administered by MidMichigan Health, funded through a gift from Bernard F. and Melissa Anne Bailey. Scholarships are given to students in health care fields on the basis of merit and established criteria as determined by an overseer committee.
Who Should Apply?
Eligible applicants must:
- Be a resident or have immediate family living in any of the following mid-Michigan counties: Alcona, Alpena, Bay, Clare, Gladwin, Gratiot, Isabella, Midland, Montcalm, Ogemaw, Roscommon and Saginaw.
- Accepted in an accredited health care curriculum/program in one of the following fields of study. (Students in the pre-program stage or not yet accepted into their program of study are not eligible.)
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Social Work
- Medical Technology
- Medical Assistant
- Physician Assistant
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nuclear Medicine Technology
- Demonstrate a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher.
- Not be graduating prior to the fall semester of the upcoming school year.
- Submit a copy of their program acceptance letter from their school showing admittance into their health care program, even if a repeat applicant.
- Submit a professional letter of reference if a first time applicant.
Electronic applications for the upcoming school year will be accepted beginning December 1 of each year with the deadline of March 1. Applications and support documentation will only be accepted electronically. To apply, complete the following steps:
- Complete the online Bailey Scholarship Application. Please click submit button once.
- You will receive email confirmation that application has been received.
- Submit required documentation to Bailey.Scholarship@midmichigan.org.
- Subject Line - First & Last Name - Bailey Scholarship Application
- First time applicants, please submit the following electronic copies: one (1) recommendation letter, a copy of your transcript including cumulative GPA and most recently completed semester grades, as well as a copy of admission to your healthcare related program.
- Repeating applicants, please submit the following electronic copies: a copy of your transcript including cumulative GPA and most recently completed semester grades, as well as a copy of admission to your healthcare related program.
All items of the application are due in full by March 1. Applicants can anticipate a response regarding the status of their applications during the month of June. Any questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the Bailey Fund?
The Bernard F. and Melissa Anne Bailey Family Fund is an endowment created for the purpose of funding student health-care scholarships. The fund was created through a $3.3 million bequest from Bernard F. Bailey to MidMichigan Medical Center–Midland. The income earned from the fund will be used to help mid-Michigan area individuals who are accepted into accredited health career programs and are interested in pursuing undergraduate, graduate or professional schooling. This donation represents the largest single individual gift given to the Medical Center in its history.
About the Bailey Family
Bernard Bailey was a fifth-generation native of Midland. He died at his home in the fall of 2004 on land his family had owned beginning in the 1850s. His wife, Melissa Anne, predeceased him in 2003. Bailey began working in the insurance business with his father, Floyd Bailey, in 1939. He and his father ran the company until 1942, when Bailey went into the service. He returned in 1946 and, with his wife, Melissa Anne, bought the Bailey Insurance Agency in 1950. He served as Midland’s postmaster from 1950 until 1956, when he returned to the insurance company. He retired in 1985, selling the business to his nephew, William Bailey.
"Their appreciation for those in the medical profession became the focal point of their legacy of giving,” said William Bailey, as their long and productive lives became more difficult in later years. “They spent so much time at the Medical Center and were grateful for the care that they received and for the individuals with whom they came in contact,” he added. “They were always looking for ways to assist people especially those who wanted to better themselves in order to help others. This gift will certainly do that.”
Members of the committee that administers the Bernard F. and Melissa Anne Bailey Family Fund and reviews all applications are:
- William Bailey
- Amy Bailey-Sheets
- Dr. Jim Bicknell
- Greg Ghilardi, Chair
- Bridgett Husted
- Dr. Dennis Johnson
- Ellamary Kane
- Colleen Markel
- Francine Padget
- Ashley Raetz-Myers, Administrator
- Greg Rogers