- Year began practicing:
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
Clinical Interests & Special Procedures
- Colon & Rectal Cancer
- Crohn'S Disease
- Fecal Incontinence
- Hemorrhoid Management
- Laparoscopic Assisted Colectomy
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Aetna Better Health - Medicaid
- Aetna Medicare Advantage
- ASR PPO
- BCN Medicare Advantage
- Blue Care Network
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Blue Cross PPO & Comm. Blue
- ConnectCare - MidMichigan Health
- ConnectCare - Northwood University
- ConnectCare - SC Johnson
- HAP Medicare Advantage HMO
- HAP Medicare Advantage PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage HMO/PPO
- McLaren - Medicaid
- Medicare Advantage (BCBS)
- Meridian Health Plan
- MultiPlan (PHCS)
- Priority Health HMO
- Priority Health Medicare Advantage HMO
- Priority Health PPO
- TriCare for Life
- TriCare Standard & Extra
- US Health and Life
Education & Training
- Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, DOCTOR OF MEDICINE
- St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI
- St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI, SURGERY
- Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI, COLON AND RECTAL SURGERY
MidMichigan Physicians Group
- Fellow - American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
- Michigan State Medical Society
- Midland County Medical Society
George Zainea, M.D., is a colon and rectal surgeon with MidMichigan Physicians Group Surgery Specialists. Dr. Zainea initially trained to be a general surgeon and practiced at MidMichigan Medical Center - Midland for several years, until he was asked to participate in a fellowship in colorectal surgery.
“The fellowship at Henry Ford Hospital was superb,” Dr. Zainea said. “It taught me the best way to deal with any type of colorectal disease, and allowed me to experience many different surgical approaches.”
Colon and rectal surgeons are experts in the surgical and nonsurgical treatment of colon and rectal problems. They have completed advanced training in the treatment of colon and rectal conditions, in addition to full training in general surgery. Colon and rectal surgeons treat benign and malignant conditions, perform routine screening examinations and surgically treat problems when necessary.
Dr. Zainea has dedicated his practice to colorectal surgery. “It is very gratifying to watch my patients recover and feel better after they have had a procedure for inflammatory bowel disease, colon cancer or diverticulitis.” he said.
Philosophy of Care
Dr. Zainea believes in preventive medicine and an important aspect of his practice is performing colonoscopies. He is adamant that everyone over the age of 50 should be screened to detect colorectal cancer, one of the leading causes of cancer death in men and women.
“Not screening is not an option,” Dr. Zainea said. “While there are different methods of screening, the gold standard is a colonoscopy. Undergoing this procedure is the best prevention for this deadly disease.”
Special Interests and Procedures
In addition to performing colonoscopies, Dr. Zainea specializes in laparoscopic-assisted colectomy, as well as treating and managing diverticulitis, inflammatory bowel disease, colon and rectal cancers, fecal incontinence and hemorrhoids.
These are the insurance plans in which this individual is a "participating provider".
This provider may accept other insurance, but your costs may be higher if they do not "participate" in your plan.