Beth Sheridan is a board-certified advanced nurse practitioner with MidMichigan Health and is a member of the comprehensive heart and vascular team. This team includes cardiologists, interventional cardiologists, electrophysiologists, as well as vascular, thoracic and cardiovascular surgeons. She specializes in working with cardiovascular surgery patients and works in collaboration with cardiovascular surgeons.
“I serve as the primary support person for patients and their families before, during and after their cardiac surgery or advanced cardiac procedure,” said Beth. “I am here to answer the patient’s questions and provide them with education about what they can expect and how they can take good care of their heart.”
Beth also helps facilitate communications between the patient’s health care providers. Additionally, she contacts patients during their recovery process to check in on them and find out how they’re doing.
Philosophy of Care
“Education is a vital part of helping ease my patients minds before their procedure,” Beth said. “It’s all about paying attention, listening and truly hearing what their concerns are. I want them to know that I’m there for them and that I care.”
Roles and Responsibilities
In addition to ongoing support, questions and concerns that Beth may address with her patients include:
• Their instructions for surgery or recovery
• Any symptoms or side effects they may have
• Their cardiac medications
• Their dietary and exercise requirements
• Any tests and treatments that have been recommended for them
• Referrals to other MidMichigan services, such as home care, cardiac rehabilitation or physician specialists
• Classes and screenings to help them make lifestyle changes and lower their risk of another cardiac event