- Year began practicing:
- Transplant Hepatology
Clinical Interests & Special Procedures
- Autoimmune Liver Disease
- Hepatic Encephalopathy
- Liver Cancer
- Liver Cirrhosis Care
- Liver Transplantation
- Portal Hypertension Complications
- Viral Hepatitis
- Aetna Better Health - Medicaid
- Aetna Medicare Advantage
- ASR PPO
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Blue Cross PPO & Comm. Blue
- ConnectCare - MidMichigan Health
- ConnectCare - Northwood University
- ConnectCare - SC Johnson
- HAP - PPO
- HAP - Preferred
- Humana Medicare Advantage HMO/PPO
- McLaren Health Plan - Medicaid
- Medicare Advantage (BCBS)
- Molina - Medicaid
- MultiPlan (PHCS)
- Priority Health HMO
- Priority Health Medicare Advantage HMO
- Priority Health PPO
- US Health and Life
Education & Training
- University College of Medicine, Guru Teg Bahadur, New Dehli, India, DOCTOR OF MEDICINE
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center, New York, INTERNAL MEDICINE
- Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ, ADVANCED HEPATOLOGY & TRANSPLANTATION
- University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI, GASTROENTEROLOGY
Advanced Hepatology Specialty Clinic
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease
- American Gastroenterology Association
- American Society of Transplantation
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Society of Transplant Surgeons
"Listening with compassion to my patients’ fears and apprehensions pertaining to their diagnoses makes me understand their state of mind."
Pratima Sharma, M.D., specializes in gastroenterology and transplant hepatology and serves on the medical staff at the University of Michigan, as well as MidMichigan Medical Center - Midland. Dr. Sharma, along with her colleague Neehar Parikh, M.D., provide a monthly Advanced Hepatology Specialty Clinic on the campus of MidMichigan Medical Center - Midland to offer expert consultation services to patients from central and northern Michigan with advanced or complex liver disease.
Philosophy of Care
Dr. Sharma’s philosophy of patient care is to provide state of the art and evidence-based care to improve clinical outcomes and quality of life. Her goal is to help patients understand their diagnosis and to partner with them in personalized treatment decisions that reflect their goals and priorities. Her engaging and approachable personality helps patients feel at ease and open to communicating with her.
“Listening with compassion to my patients’ fears and apprehensions pertaining to their diagnoses makes me understand their state of mind,” she said. “I believe in providing them with the knowledge and simple tools regarding disease management and short-term common health-related goals through effective communication. This process empowers them to become motivated and changes their attitude towards their health.”
Dr. Sharma is very well known in the field of organ transplantation. Her research has influenced the allocation policy for liver transplantation so that sicker patients on the list get more access to transplant. Her clinical interests include viral hepatitis, alcoholic and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, autoimmune liver disease, cirrhosis of the liver and complication of portal hypertension including ascites, hepatic encephalopathy and hepatorenal syndrome, liver cancer and liver transplantation.
These are the insurance plans in which this individual is a "participating provider".
This provider may accept other insurance, but your costs may be higher if they do not "participate" in your plan.