Visual Evoked Potential (VEP)
This safe and painless test evaluates the visual (sight) pathway of the nervous system. You si upright in a standard chair as a few electrodes will be applied to your head. You will then be asked to watch a flashing checkerboard pattern on a TV screen. Tiny electrical signals from your brain will be picked up by the electrodes and sent to a computer that will record and print out results. These results will be interpreted by a neurologist.
Approximately 30 minutes
- If you wear glasses or contacts, it is imperative that you bring them with you for the test or the test cannot be performed.
- Shampoo and dry hair without using sprays, gels or oils. No braids or intricate hair designes as they will need to be removed prior to the test.
- Continue taking medications as prescribed by your physician.
- Bring a list of your medications you are taking.
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment.
All neurodiagnostic test results will be interpreted by a neurologist, and results will be sent to your physician. Your physician is responsible for communicating your results to you and helping you understand what they mean. If you have any quesitons about yoru test results, please call your doctor.
If you have a MyMidMichigan account, we will also send your test results to your account. If you need help accessing your test results in MyMidMichigan or would like to request a paper copy, please call MidMichigan's Health Information Department at (989) 839-3319.