Specialized Program for Cancer Rehabilitation
Recovering from cancer often means a long treatment period, sometimes with side effects from surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. A new program at MidMichigan Health is designed to help cancer survivors and those going through treatment feel better and get stronger.
About the Program
MidMichigan's specialized cancer rehabilitation program assists patients to heal from cancer’s debilitating side effects and symptoms. Physicians, physical and occupational therapists, speech pathologists, dietitians and mental health professionals associated with MidMichigan Health work together to create a personalized plan to help patients increase strength and energy, alleviate pain, improve appetite and enhance quality of life.
Patients who have received rigorous cancer care, including surgical resection, chemotherapy and/or radiation, are often left with side effects and symptoms from these treatments. With illnesses and injuries other than cancer, such as a heart attack, it is accepted practice to provide rehabilitation, and there is growing evidence that exercise and therapy during and following cancer treatment also improve patient outcomes. By offering physical therapy, dietary consultations, exercise plans and more following a coordinated plan we are able to help restore patients' strength and sense of well being.
Symptoms and Diagnoses Managed
- Musculoskeletal pain
- Neuropathic pain
- Chemo-induced neuropathy
- Balance/gait problems/safety
- Radiation fibrosis syndrome
- Difficulties with daily living
- Cognitive problems
- Scar adhesions
- Bowel/bladder incontinence
- History of falls
- Post-mastectomy pain syndrome
- Limited jaw excursion
- Difficulty with range of motion
- Swallowing problems
- Speech problems
- History of recent weight loss
- Shortness of breath
For More Information
- Those interested in learning more about Survivorship Training and Rehabilitation services in Alpena, Clare, Gladwin, Gratiot, Isabella, Midland, Roscommon and Saginaw Counties may call (989) 839-3584.
- For a cancer specialist associated with MidMichigan Health may visit www.midmichigan.org/doctors or call (989) 839-3584.