Foot and Ankle Pain
Common Causes of Foot and Ankle Pain
Foot and ankle pain can severely limit daily activity and diminish quality of life. The most common causes are:
- Injuries such as fractures, sprains, ligament tears and dislocations
- Plantar fasciitis
- Morton's neuroma
- Great toe arthritis
- Biomechanical problems such as high arches, pronation or supination
- Diabetic complications such as neuropathy, ulcerations, Charcot joint fracture or Charcot arthropathy
Getting to the Root Cause of Foot and Ankle Pain
Choosing the right treatment method depends on knowing the real cause of your foot or ankle pain. To make sure an accurate diagnosis is made, see your family doctor or an orthopaedic specialist.
Your family doctor or orthopaedic specialist may use one or more of the following evaluation methods to arrive at a diagnosis:
Typically, your doctor may recommend one of the following treatments:
- Medication - typically oral anti-inflammatories
- Activity modification or rest
- Physical therapy - MidMichigan Health offers comprehensive rehabilitation services at convenient locations. Ask your doctor about a referral.
- Splint, cast or total contact cast
- Orthotic shoes
- Assistive devices such as canes, walkers, and similar devices.
The MidMichigan Difference
- A team of board-certified orthopaedic surgeons and podiatrists, including a surgeon fellowship trained in foot and ankle surgery.
- Foot clinics available through the Diabetes Center
- Foot care provided in your home by MidMichigan Home Care
- Team philosophy - our orthopaedic specialists work closely with rehabilitation services to ensure your safe and speedy recovery.