Spicy Ginger Chicken & Rice
- 10 ounce package brown or white rice
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper (1-2 inch strips)
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup cooked diced chicken breast
- 1 ½ cup fresh or frozen shelled edamame
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoon canola oil
- Steam rice thoroughly – according to package directions
- As rice is steaming, coat large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium to high heat. Sautee onions and peppers for 5 minutes or until onions begin to brown, stir frequently.
- Add garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and salt, stir until well blended.
- Add chicken and edamame and cook for 1 minute until heated through, stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat, stir in rice, cilantro and oil.
- Let stand for 5 minutes and serve.
*Makes 4 servings (1 ½ cup servings)
Calories: 326 calories
Total fat: 12 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Protein: 26 gm
Carbohydrate: 30 gm
Cholesterol: 40 mg
Fiber: 7 gm
Sodium: 476 mg
Monthly Tip: Remember not to keep your insulin or glucometer in your car. Extreme hot or cold weather can damage them.