Need to use up leftover turkey from the holidays? Make this low-fat casserole. It's made with brown rice and lots of vegetables.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped red or yellow sweet pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey or chicken
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (2 ounces)
1. In a 12-inch skillet cook and stir mushrooms, sweet pepper, onion, and garlic in hot butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in flour, salt, thyme, and black pepper. Slowly stir in milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in spinach, rice, turkey, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
2. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, covered, in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake about 10 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Fat, total(g): 10
Sat. Fat(g): 5
From Diabetic Living Online