Black Beans and Yellow Rice
- 4 ounces smoked turkey sausage, slice thin
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ of 15 ounce can sodium free black beans, rinsed and drained (3/4 cup)
- ½ cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ cup instant brown rice
- 1 medium tomatillo, husk removed, rinsed, and finely chopped
- ½ ripe medium avocado, seeded, peeled, chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Coat large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium to high heat. Add turkey to hot skillet, cook for 2 minutes or until lightly browned; stir frequently. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add onion to skillet; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic; cook for 15 seconds stirring constantly. Stir in beans, broth, and chili powder; bring to a boil over medium to high heat. Remove from heat and stir in sausage. Cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile in small saucepan combine water and turmeric. Add rice and steam; follow package directions (minus any salt).
- In medium bowl gently stir together tomatillo, avocado and cilantro.
- Spoon sausage-bean mixture over rice and top with tomatillo mixture. Serve with lime wedges.
Makes 4 servings ( ½ cup beans, ¼ cup rice, and ¼ cup tomatillo servings)
Calories: 188 Kcal
Total fat: 6 gm
Saturated fat: 1 gm
Cholesterol: 19 mg
Sodium: 365 mg
Carbohydrate: 26 gm
Protein: 10 gm
Acquired from Diabetic Living Magazine Winter 2011