Body Contouring after Massive Weight Loss
You've Battled the Bulge: Now What About Sagging Skin?
Achieving major weight loss is reason to celebrate. It can significantly improve your health, your lifestyle and your self esteem. Yet once they reach their goal weight, many formerly obese patients find themselves facing another problem: sagging skin.
Massive weight loss can leave loose, sagging skin, especially in the arms, thighs and abdomen. Large folds of excess of skin can prevent people from looking and feeling their best and can even lead to skin lesions, infection or limited range of motion. Unfortunately, diet and exercise will not make it go away.
People who experience extreme weight-loss, either through bariatric surgery, diet or exercise, often elect to undergo cosmetic surgery to remove this excess hanging skin and achieve a sleeker body shape. The most commonly-requested procedures for body contouring after massive weight loss include:
- Panniculectomy - Removes hanging skin and fat from the stomach.
- Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) - Tightens abdominal muscles and removes excess skin.
- Brachioplasty (upper arm lift) - Removes excess skin on the upper arms.
- Thigh Lift - Removes excess skin from inner thighs.
- Breast Lift - Raises and reshapes sagging breasts.
- Breast Augmentation - Uses breast implants to enhance the breasts. Often accompanies breast lift to achieve the desired shape.
These surgeries are generally outpatient procedures, unless they are lengthy, involve muscle repair or multiple procedures are done at one time. It is common for a patient to have several different cosmetic procedures to address all the problem areas. While many people would prefer to have all the procedures done at one time, safety concerns may limit the number of procedures that can be performed in a single visit.
Concern for Your Privacy and Comfort
MidMichigan Medical Center - Midland offers these and other procedures in a program specially designed to cater to the unique needs of cosmetic surgery patients. The program offers a hotel-like atmosphere and attitude, but with the safety and quality that only a hospital can provide. Our program features:
- A beautifully decorated facility in a quiet side hallway, ensuring plenty of "beauty rest"
- A private entrance and private, hotel-like rooms
- Immediate room check-in for you and your support person, with no time spent in the waiting room
- The same staff manages all your care from check-in to checkout
Who Is a Good Candidate?
- Ideal candidates have already achieved their desired weight and are committed to following a lifestyle of healthy eating and exercise.
- Bariatric surgery patients are usually advised to wait 6 to 12 months before having cosmetic surgery. This pause allows full recovery from the bariatric surgery and time for the other health conditions caused by obesity to improve.
Costs and Insurance
In many cases, panniculectomy may be covered by insurance. Patients should check with their insurance plan to confirm specific coverage and co-pay. The other procedures listed above typically are not covered by insurance unless the excess skin is causing a diagnosed health problem.
However, MidMichigan's guaranteed upfront pricing, discount packages and special financing options make your surgery surprisingly affordable. For specific details about costs or financing, contact our customer service representative at (989) 839-3876 or toll free at (800) 839-6762.
To learn whether cosmetic surgery is right for you, schedule a personalized consultation with one of our board-certified plastic surgeons. Call MidMichigan Health Line toll free at (800) 999-3199 for a referral or take a virtual tour of our cosmetic surgery facilities in Midland, Michigan.