Breast Cancer Nurse Navigator
Your Personal Guide During Breast Cancer Care
At MidMichigan Health, patients diagnosed with breast cancer may be guided through the process of their treatment by a Nurse Navigator. Patients with cancer have a lot of questions and the nurse navigator is there to answer them.
The nurse navigator translates medical information and helps patients and their families understand the plan of care and what to expect from treatments and medications. This enables families to make practical plans and take action on their own behalf. The navigator also coordinates care with other treatment team members, including appointments for consultations and physician visits. This type of support is vital for patients with cancer, who may have as many as 100 medical appointments in the year following diagnosis.
The breast cancer nurse navigator helps women by:
- Answering questions
- Obtaining orders and referrals for additional procedures as needed
- Scheduling consultations with a breast surgeon
- Acting as an "extra set of ears" for patients
- Providing educational resources to help patients and families better understand their individual diagnosis and treatment options
- Communicating with regional physicians to expedite scheduling of procedures and appointments
For more information, contact our breast cancer nurse navigator by e-mail or call (989) 837-9061 or Toll Free (888) 626-4547.