Diagnosis and Treatment
Our Diagnosis and Treatment Steps
Typically, diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer follow these steps:
- A lump is identified through a breast self-exam, clinical exam or mammogram.
- A radiologist flags the suspicious mammogram.
- Image-checker technology, available in this region only at MidMichigan Health, double-checks the mammogram.
- If an abnormality is present, your doctor is notified and our breast-health coordinator is available to help you through the next steps.
- Depending on your condition and overall heath, your physician may order additional tests, such as an ultrasound or a breast biopsy.
Offering You Compassion and Capabilities
Should you be diagnosed with breast cancer, we’re here for you. MidMichigan Health’s Pardee Cancer Center offers you compassionate support and comprehensive treatment capabilities. We understand that you may feel frightened or overwhelmed; that’s why we provide every patient with:
- A breast-health coordinator, employed specifically to answer questions and facilitate communication between providers
- Trained experts who will review each case through multidisciplinary cancer conferences
- Referrals to highly skilled specialists and oncologists
- Information about the types and stages of breast cancer, and national treatment recommendations
- Treatment options, including:
The MidMichigan Difference
The Center for Women’s Health at MidMichigan Medical Center–Midland has been designated a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR). MidMichigan is also one of the only programs in the region to be accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.