Breast Health Nurses
Your Personal Guides to Breast Health
MidMichigan's breast health nurses are here to assist patients who have been diagnosed with a variety of breast health issues, including:
- breast cancer
- breast lumps
- abnormal mammograms, ultrasounds, or breast MRIs
- concerns such as nipple discharge, skin changes, or thickening
We’ve all been in situations where we’ve had questions, but didn’t know if we should bother a health care provider. From the moment a breast concern is identified, a breast health nurse will help patients navigate the process through counseling, answering questions and helping to schedule appointments or tests.
As patients progress through treatment, the breast health nurse will take extra time to talk with them about any fears and anxieties they may be having. Many patients have concerns about body image changes, apparel needs and fear of pain, to name a few. Our goal is to keep the patient and family informed, get answers quickly and shorten waits wherever we can. We are concerned about how our patients heal, both physically and emotionally.
If a patient receives a diagnosis of cancer, an oncology nurse navigator will assist during testing, treatment and follow-up.
The breast health nurse helps women by:
- Answering questions
- Obtaining orders and referrals for additional procedures as needed
- Scheduling consultations in the Breast Health Clinic
- Acting as an "extra set of ears" for patients
- Providing educational resources to help patients and families better understand their individual diagnosis and treatment options
- Communicating with regional physicians to expedite scheduling of procedures and appointments
For more information, contact our breast health nurses by e-mail or call
(989) 837-9061 or Toll Free (888) 626-4547.
A Team Approach
The Comprehensive Breast Health Program includes a team approach. Specific cases at the breast health clinics are reviewed at conferences by radiologists, pathologists, radiation oncologists, medical oncologists and surgeons. They recommend treatment plan options as a team, an approach that gives patients added peace of mind and helps them make more informed choices.
The MidMichigan Difference
The Center for Women’s Health at MidMichigan Medical Center–Midland has been designated a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR). MidMichigan is also one of the only programs in the region to be accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.