Caring for the Addicted Patient
R. Corey Waller, M.D., M.S., F.A.C.E.P., D.F.A.S.A.M.
Senior Medical Director, Camden Coalition of Healthcare Providers (CCHP
Dr. Waller is an addiction, pain, and emergency medicine specialist and the Senior Medical Director for Education and Policy at the Camden Coalition of Healthcare Providers (CCHP). Before joining CCHP he worked for the Spectrum Health System in Grand Rapids, Michigan, which is a fully integrated health system with 11 hospitals and over 1000 employed physicians. He was the Medical Director of the Spectrum Health Medical Group Center for Integrative Medicine, the Medical Staff Chief of Pain Medicine to the Spectrum Health Hospital System, the President of the Michigan Society of Addiction Medicine, as well as SUD Medical Director at Lakeshore Regional Partners (Community Mental Health-Region 3). Dr. Waller earned a Master’s of Science in neuromolecular biology at Southwest Texas State University and earned his Medical Degree at the University of Texas Medical School in San Antonio. Dr. Waller completed his Emergency Medicine residency at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia and is board Certified in Addiction Medicine. Dr. Waller’s special interests include creating a comprehensive workforce development suite for the care of complex high cost patients, understanding the biopsychosocial and financial impact of high cost complex patients as well as the unique interaction of pain and addiction.
• Review and predict addictive behaviors
• Describe safe approaches to pain treatment in addiction
• Describe evidence based approaches to addiction treatment
• Describe the national best practices for the treatment of patients with addiction
• Provide examples of effective communication between providers and patients
• Describe effective ways to work with families of known heroin users