Application & Interviews
How to Apply
We are a 4 year unopposed program and accept applications for first year residents only through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). In addition, applications must be completed through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
We are unable to offer observerships or externships.
For All Applicants
- Deadline for all application materials is December 1.
- You may not be considered if you have participated in a previous match.
- You must have three letters of recommendation with at least one being from a Board Certified Family Medicine Physician.
- USMLE Scores - We look at the first and/or second attempt for Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS.
- Personal Statement: Please tell us about why you are choosing Family Medicine and why Midland, Michigan.
- Be ECFMG Certified.
- Have clinical experience in the United States, preferably within the specialty of Family Medicine.
- Be a permanent resident or a United States Citizen.
- Have graduated medical school within the last 5 years (or may be considered if you have recent clinical experience).
Applications will also be evaluated in regard to:
- Work history and educational background.
- Evidence of medical school rotations in family medicine or evidence of experience in the specialty of family medicine gained in a health care setting outside of medical school.
- Language and communication skills (applicant must be willing to have a phone interview.)
We do follow the California approved/disapproved medical school list.
Interviews are scheduled by invitation only and are conducted November 1 through January 5 of each year. The interview process includes an overnight stay in Midland (at the residency program’s expense), which accommodates an informal question and answer session with one or two of our current residents. The actual interview day includes meetings with the director, other members of the faculty and available residents. A tour of the Medical Center and a driving tour of the city also are provided.
Contacting the Program Coordinator
Applications may be submitted through the dean of your medical school using the Electronic Residency Application Service. Once you apply, further correspondence should be directed to:
Denise Shelden, Program Coordinator
Family Medicine Residency Program
MidMichigan Medical Center-Midland
4000 Wellness Drive
Midland, Michigan 48670
Toll free at (877) 509-1794