Visiting Medical Students
The Midland Regional Campus of Michigan State University College of Human Medicine will begin using the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS), to receive visiting student applications for the 2012-13 academic year, for students enrolled in U.S. LCME accredited schools (M.D. students) or a VSAS participating COCA accredited AACOM member college (D.O. students), in April 2012. To apply for an elective at our clinical campus, please visit the AAMC website to complete an application for your preferred electives and dates. Click here for more information on VSAS, or contact VSAS by telephone at (202) 478-9878. Click on the link below to see a list of electives offered at the Midland Regional Campus.
Electives and Course Descriptions
For prospective visiting students for whom VSAS is not available, you must submit a paper application. At this time, the Midland Regional Campus does not accept students from non-LCME or AOA accredited schools for electives. Click on the link below for a copy of our application:
Electives are available on a first-come, first-serve basis beginning August 1 - June 30 of each academic year. MSU College of Human Medicine elective time periods for the 2013-14 academic year are as follows:
August 5 – August 30, 2013
September 3 – September 27, 2013
September 30 - October 25, 2013
October 28 – November 22, 2013
November 25 – December 20, 2013
January 6 – January 31, 2014
February 3 – February 28, 2014
March 3 – March 28, 2014
March 31 – April 25, 2014
April 28 - May 23, 2014
- All electives are 4 weeks in durations, based on the MSU academic calendar.
- Visiting students are limited to 8 weeks of electives.
- Visiting students must have completed their school’s required/core clerkships in the discipline of the requested clerkship.
- Visiting students must have attained senior status prior to enrollment
- Housing, travel, and local transportation are the responsibility of the student (if you need a list of temporary housing options please let us know). Free parking is available at each clinical site. Meals are provided by the hospital while on duty.
- A brief orientation is required the morning of the first day of the clerkship.
- Evaluations are the sole responsibility of the visiting student. If your school requires the completion of a specific evaluation form, this form should be provided to the community contact person at the beginning of the elective. Some electives require additional evaluative assignments that may include written or oral presentations, papers, or observed clinical assessments.
- There is a $75 non-refundable application processing fee due at the time of application.
- Required or Core clerkship rotations are not offered to non-CHM medical students.
** Student Passport Alliance
Before working as a student at MidMichigan, you must obtain a valid SPA clinical passport. Click here to find out how to obtain a valid SPA clinical passport.
You must also review the orientation information listed on this page. This information also applies to medical students participating in non-clinical experiences for credit.