Serving the Orthopedic Care Needs of the Great Lakes Bay Region
At MidMichigan Medical Center – Midland, our experienced team of orthopedic surgeons and musculoskeletal specialists offers a broad range of expertise and advanced minimally-invasive and robotic surgery treatment options. No matter what stage of life you’re in, the health of your muscles, bones and joints impacts your ability to get around and enjoy life. So, where do you go when you’re experiencing pain and discomfort? You don’t need to go far, because you have a go-to orthopedic surgery team ready to serve you. Your go-to team has one goal in mind, to help you reach your highest level of function or performance. This experienced team includes experts in general adult and pediatric orthopedics, foot and ankle surgery, and hand surgery; as well as surgical and non-surgical sports medicine.
This comprehensive musculoskeletal team, along with our rehabilitation therapists have one goal in mind, to improve your overall quality of life by improving your mobility. Through specialized procedures, advanced therapies, and injury prevention programs, we’ll make sure you get back to enjoying the activities you love.
In addition, MidMichigan offers injury prevention programs like WellSport and our Bone Health Clinic.
- WellSport is specifically designed to assess and provide non-surgical treatment to patients of all ages suffering from joint pain, strains, sprains, contusions, fractures, and concussions. If surgery is required, WellSport can help expedite the referral to an orthopedic or specialized surgeon.
- Bone Health Clinic is based on best practices for treating and monitoring patients at risk for secondary fractures caused by weakening of the bone due to osteoporosis, osteopenia or other bone disorder.
Whether your pain originates from your knee, elbow, hand, wrist, shoulder, foot, ankle or hip, we can help determine the root cause of your pain and determine what treatment is right for you.
Convenient, Personalized Rehabilitation Care
MidMichigan offers rehabilitation services throughout the Great Lakes Bay Region. Our therapists apply their training and experience to help each individual achieve their personal goals and reach their highest level of function or performance. Members of our comprehensive rehabilitation team offer advanced physical and occupational therapy, as well as speech language pathology services. Our therapists focus on preventing and healing injuries and disabilities that affect an individual’s capacity to perform normal, daily tasks.
Areas of Expertise Include:
- Balance and Fall Prevention
- Cancer Rehabilitation
- Foot and Ankle Biometrics
- Functional Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation
- Hand Therapy
- Lymphedema Management
- Manual Therapy
- Motion Analysis for Athletes
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Oral-Motor/Feeding Dysfunctions
- Parkinson’s LSVT Therapy
- Pediatric Rehabilitation
- Spine Care
- Sports Medicine
- TMJ Therapy
- Total Joint Replacement
- Vestibular Disorders
In addition to injury prevention, MidMichigan Health’s WellSport Program is specifically designed to assess and provide non-surgical treatment to patients of all ages suffering from joint pain, strains, sprains, contusions, and fractures. Treatments are designed to help patients maintain an active, healthy and happy lifestyle. If surgery is required, WellSport can also help expedite the referral to an orthopedic or specialized surgeon. Whether it’s pain originating from the knee, elbow, wrist, shoulder, ankle or hip, joint pain can severely limit daily activity and diminish quality of life.
Common Causes of Your Joint Pain
- Injuries such as sprains, strains, fractures and ligament tears
- Arthritis – usually osteoarthritis but, more rarely, rheumatoid arthritis
- Cartilage damage and other degeneration
- Excess body weight that puts undue stress on the joint
- Muscle imbalance
- Referred pain (i.e., pain in the foot that affects how you walk, causing pain in the knee)
If you’re currently suffering from joint pain, contact WellSport at (989) 837-9350 for an evaluation to determine the root cause of your pain and if non-surgical treatment is right for you. We offer convenient locations in Bay City, Freeland, Midland and Mt. Pleasant.
The Bone Health Clinic was developed in collaboration with the comprehensive orthopedic team at MidMichigan Health. The Clinic is based on best practices for treating patients at risk for secondary fractures caused by weakening of the bone due to osteoporosis, osteopenia or other bone disorder. The program is designed to assist patients in monitoring responses to treatment, modifying behaviors, adjusting medications, coordinating care with their primary care provider and facilitating referrals if needed.
Services Provided Through the Bone Health Clinic:
- Screening and diagnosis of osteoporosis and other metabolic bone disorders to prevent secondary fractures
- Evaluation for secondary causes of bone loss, such as thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal disorders
- Coordination of bone density scans and fall risk assessments
- Counseling on calcium and vitamin D intake
- Coordination of weight bearing and strengthening exercises through physical therapy
- Medication therapy management
- Ongoing treatment monitoring and follow up
- Fall prevention counseling
For questions about MidMichigan Health's Bone Health Clinic or to inquire about becoming a patient call (989) 837-9192 and speak with Bone Health Specialist, Sarah VanSumeren, P.A.-C.
Robotics-Assisted Knee Replacements
The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons estimates knee replacement surgeries are expected to increase a staggering 180 percent between now and 2030 in the United States. In preparation for this dramatic increase, MidMichigan Medical Center – Midland recently expanded its comprehensive musculoskeletal offerings to include robotics-assisted knee surgery using the CORI™ Surgical System. This unique system, developed by Smith+Nephew, uses handheld robotics assisted technology and 3D modeling to help your orthopedic surgeon plan and perform total and partial knee replacement procedures.