MORE Local Heart and Vascular Expertise
MidMichigan’s nationally recognized Heart and Vascular Program is served by an experienced team of nearly 40 physicians and advanced practice providers with MidMichigan Physicians Group. These include cardiologists, interventional cardiologists, heart failure and heart valve specialists, as well as vascular and cardiovascular surgeons. To ensure that your care can stay close to home, members of this comprehensive heart and vascular team see patients at MidMichigan Medical Center - Mt. Pleasant.
In addition, a wide variety of diagnostic cardiac and vascular tests are also available locally through the Medical Center. Should advanced cardiac treatment become necessary, a full range of interventional procedures, as well as open heart surgery, elective angioplasty and structural heart procedures are offered at MidMichigan Medical Center in Midland. If your condition does require advanced cardiac treatment, your recovery can be completed close to home through the cardiac rehabilitation program in Alma. Home nursing care is also available locally through MidMichigan Home Care. For more information about our comprehensive heart and vascular services visit www.midmichigan.org/heart.
MidMichigan Medical Center - Mt. Pleasant offers a full range of cardiovascular testing Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Ankle Brachial Index (ABI)
- Arterial assessments
- AV Fistula
- Cardiac Stress Testing
- Graded exercise tolerance testing (GXT)
- Exercise stress echocardiogram
- Nuclear cardiac stress (exercise, lexiscan)
- Carotid Duplex
- Electrocardiogram (ECG/EKG)*
- Event Monitoring
- Holter Monitoring*
- Vascular ultrasound
- Vein Mapping
- Venous Doppler
To schedule cardiovascular testing, please call central scheduling at (888) 367-2778.
*Pediatric services available
Heart Failure Management
MidMichigan’s Heart Failure Clinic was developed in collaboration with the University of Michigan and is based on best practices for treating patients suffering from chronic congestive heart failure. The program is designed to assist patients in monitoring responses to treatment, modifying behaviors, adjusting medications, coordinating care with their cardiologist and primary care provider and facilitating referrals for advanced heart failure treatments.
Heart Failure Clinic Services
- Comprehensive education and counseling on chronic disease management that is tailored to each patient.
- Ongoing management of your medication regimen to improve symptoms.
- Instruction on self-care behaviors, such as establishing a low-sodium diet, a regular exercise routine and daily weight monitoring.
- Prompt follow-up after hospitalization discharges or after periods of instability.
- Care coordination with the patient’s cardiologist and primary care provider.
- Assistance in monitoring the signs and symptoms of heart failure and fluid overload to avoid the need for emergency room visits or hospitalizations.
- Easy access to a comprehensive heart failure team and quick responses to questions and concerns.
- Assistance with social and financial concerns.
- Collaboration with other cardiology subspecialists to improve blood flow, manage irregular heart rhythms or provide device therapies which may be used in some patients to improve symptoms of heart failure.
- Consideration for participation in clinical trials of experimental medications and procedures that may help with the symptoms of heart failure.
- Collaborations with streamlined referral to Michigan Medicine or other centers for advanced heart failure therapies, including ventricular assist devices and heart transplants when necessary.
- Ongoing support for patients and their caregivers during all stages of the disease, including transition from disease treating therapies to therapies and referrals ensuring comfort at the end of life.
Complex Vascular Treatment
Our experienced vascular surgeons are dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the circulatory system, including the arteries and veins. In addition to treating peripheral artery disease, our vascular specialists have expertise in complex vascular procedures including abdominal and thoracic aneurysm repair, mesenteric and renal artery repair, and surgical treatment for thoracic outlet and subclavian steal syndromes.