Skip to Content

  • Wait Times
  • Site Search

Historical Timeline of MidMichigan Medical Center-Midland

 

1940
Plans for construction of the hospital were underway. The selected site, located at the corner of Sugnet and Sturgeon Streets, was donated by Grace A. Dow. Alden B. Dow, Inc., was selected as architect for the building.

1942
Philip T. Rich, president of the Hospital Association, broke ground for Midland Hospital.

1944
The 47-bed hospital with medical, surgical, and obstetrical care opened. The first patient, an expectant mother, arrived at 8:30 a.m.

1947
The original hospital building was enlarged to provide a Pediatrics Unit, more medical-surgical beds and an enlarged Radiology Department.

1953
A new addition opened in December, adding 100 beds. The new wing contained the Obstetrical Department, an enlarged Medical Department, interns’ quarters, a cafeteria, medical library and kitchens. The wing created a total of 165 beds for the hospital.

1960-1961
A pediatrics wing opened. The lobby, Emergency Department and outpatient facilities were also enlarged. The capacity of the hospital became 220 beds with 32 bassinets. Funds were raised for a new construction program. A medical-surgical wing opened.

1974
In May, construction of the Harlow Building was complete. Many of the patient units were located here, as well as a new pharmacy, health science library, physical therapy, skilled care, medical records, occupational therapy and other patient-related departments. Midland Hospital became Midland Hospital Center.

1986
Phase 1 of the hospital’s master site plan was completed and included a new Ambulatory Surgery Unit, Intensive Care Unit, and expanded Food Service Department. The cafeteria reopened as the Plane Tree Café.

1993-1994
In 1993, Wellness Drive was constructed connecting the campus to a new north entrance off Saginaw Road. The Medical Center celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1994.

2001
The new Emergency Department opened on Tuesday, Oct. 23. The new 27,412-square-foot facility was double the size of the former ER.

2007
The first open heart surgery was performed at the Medical Center in Midland.

2008
The Medical Center in Midland began the three-year expansion and renovation project.

2009
In March, nearly 100 Medical Center staff and community members attend the “topping out” ceremony as the final steel beam was placed atop the new five-story structure.

2010
Six new operating rooms and surgical patient preoperative and recovery areas were the first to open as part of the expansion project.

2011
The $115-million expansion and renovation was completed.