Skip to Content

  • Wait Times
  • Site Search

Our History

  • Chronology

A Brief Chronology of MidMichigan Health

For a more detailed history, see MidMichigan Health: Evolution of a Major Health System (PDF, 23 MB).

 

1935
The first hospital in Midland begins in a two story home on Gordon Street in Midland, Michigan.

1942
Grace A. Dow donates ten acres of land at the corner of Sugnet and Orchard Streets in Midland, Michigan for a new hospital site.

Alden B. Dow drafts the architectural plans for the new hospital.

1944
The Midland Hospital (now MidMichigan Medical Center – Midland) opens on the land donated by Grace A. Dow, with 47 beds providing medical, surgical and obstetrical care.

1982
Mid-Michigan Health Care Systems, Inc. (now MidMichigan Health) is formed as a joint venture subsidiary between Midland Hospital (now MidMichigan Medical Center – Midland) and Clare Community Hospital (now MidMichigan Medical Center – Clare.)

1984
MidMichigan Health is established as the parent holding company of MidMichigan Medical Center – Midland and MidMichigan Medical Center – Clare.

MidMichigan Urgent Care – Midland is created.

Affiliation with MidMichigan Visiting Nurse Association (now MidMichigan Home Care).

1985
Affiliation with MidMichigan Medical Center – Gladwin.

Regional Imaging Center, Inc. is created as a joint venture magnetic resonance imaging service between MidMichigan Health, Bay Health and Covenant HealthCare.

1986
MidMichigan Visiting Nurse Support Services (now MidMichigan Home Care) is incorporated.

MidMichigan Stratford Village is constructed.

1987
MidMichigan Gladwin Pines is incorporated and constructed.

1993
MidMichigan Health Network, L.L.C. is formed.

Regional Dialysis Services, Inc., is created as a joint venture between MidMichigan Health, Bay Regional Medical Center and Gratiot Community Hospital.

1994
Jeppesen Radiation Oncology Center in Bay City, Michigan is created as a joint operating agreement between MidMichigan Medical Center – Midland and Bay Regional Medical Center.

1996
MidMichigan Physicians Group is incorporated.

1999
MidMichigan Health establishes a partnership with the Great Lakes Mobile Lithotripsy Network.

MidMichigan signs a management contract for MidMichigan Health Park – Houghton Lake.

MidMichigan affiliates with Gratiot Health System in Alma.

2000
MidMichigan Health Park – Mt. Pleasant opens in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan.

MidMichigan Gratiot Cancer Center opens in Alma, Michigan.

2001
Saginaw Radiation Oncology Center opens in Saginaw, Michigan as a joint venture between MidMichigan Medical Center – Midland, Covenant HealthCare and Bay Regional Medical Center.

2002
MidMichigan Regional Imaging is formed to provide additional fixed and mobile MRI services to the region. Regional Imaging Center, Inc. is formally dissolved.

2004
Gratiot Health System in Alma, Michigan becomes a wholly-owned subsidiary of MidMichigan Health and changes its name to Gratiot Medical Center (now MidMichigan Medical Center – Gratiot).

2007
MidMichigan Home Care is formed by merging MidMichigan Visiting Nurse Association, MidMichigan Visiting Nurse Support Services and Gratiot Home Health Services.

MidMichigan Urgent Care – Alma (formerly Urgent Care at Gratiot Medical Center) opens in its own building across the street from the Medical Center.

2011

MidMichigan Medical Center – Gratiot is the new name for Gratiot Medical Center, reflecting seamless integration across the MidMichigan Health system. Urgent Care becomes MidMichigan Urgent Care – Alma.

MidMichigan Health Park – Freeland is established at the site of the former MidMichigan Medical Offices – Freeland. MidMichigan Urgent Care – Freeland opens at this location.

The three-year, $115-million expansion and renovation at MidMichigan Medical Center – Midland is completed. The 280,000 gross square foot project includes six new operating rooms and accompanying care spaces, as well as the reconfiguration of semi-private patient rooms to all private patient rooms.

2013

MidMichigan Health affiliates with the University of Michigan Health System.

2014

MidMichigan Urgent Care – Gladwin opened providing walk-in care for minor illnesses and minor emergencies.

The Wound Treatment Center opened on the campus of MidMichigan Medical Center – Midland.

Construction was completed on the new MidMichigan Health Park – Harrison facility. The building combines MidMichigan Health physicians and services, the Central Michigan District Health Department (CMDHD) services and dental services provided by the Michigan Community Dental Clinics.

MidMichigan Medical Offices – East End opened in downtown Midland.

2015

MidMichigan Health announced the new health education building on the campus of MidMichigan Medical Center – Midland will be named the Gerstacker Building. The building opened in July 2015.

Ground was broken on a 94,000 square-foot expansion project to MidMichigan Health Park – Mt. Pleasant. The building will add a free-standing Emergency Department, Ambulatory Surgery Center, Short Stay Bed Unit, retail pharmacy, rehabilitation services, and additional physician offices.

2016

Alpena Regional Medical Center (ARMC) joined MidMichigan Health, on April 1, 2016, making it the fifth Medical Center in the MidMichigan Health system. To reflect the hospital joining MidMichigan, ARMC has changed its name to MidMichigan Medical Center – Alpena.

Ownership of the MidMichigan Stratford Village and MidMichigan Gladwin Pines nursing homes was transferred to The Peplinski Group.

Woodland Hospice Morey Bereavement Center affiliated with MidMichigan Health.

2017

MidMichigan Health Park – Mt. Pleasant quadrupled the size of its facility, adding a 24-hour Emergency Department, Short Stay Unit, outpatient surgery center and expanded health care services. The building was renamed MidMichigan Medical Center – Mt. Pleasant.

2018

West Branch Regional Medical Center (WBRMC) joined MidMichigan Health, on April 2, 2018, making it the seventh Medical Center in the MidMichigan Health system. To reflect the hospital joining MidMichigan, WBRMC has changed its name to MidMichigan Medical Center – West Branch.