My Go-To Place is About to Get Bigger & Better
In January 2018, the MidMichigan Health Board of Directors approved a $63.5 million expansion and renovation project to build an inpatient tower, which would house private patient rooms on the campus of MidMichigan Medical Center – Alpena.
“The new patient tower is the largest expansion of its kind, not just at our Medical Center, but in our community. This project is just one example of MidMichigan investing in our area. In fact, one of the many benefits of joining the health system is that we have ability to make all private patient rooms a reality,” said Sherwin. “It is a new standard of care that is long overdue. Our community deserves to experience excellence for their care and that of their family and neighbors. We’re all looking forward to getting this project underway.”
The $63.5 million expansion and renovation project features a three-story patient tower. The tower will house 60 new private patient rooms, including eight intensive care unit beds, eight labor and delivery rooms, and 44 medical/surgical/telemetry beds. The new tower will also include 18 prep and recovery rooms, flex rooms, as well as five new operating rooms. The 99,000 square-foot project is slated to be opened in spring 2022. Once complete, many areas in the existing Medical Center will be renovated.
- Reinforces a safe, more family-centered healing environment, which allows our patients to better rest and recover faster
- Maintains infection control and reduced incidence of hospital-acquired infections
- Improves the patient experience by providing privacy and quiet surroundings
- Support to the patient’s emotional and psychological well-being during an inpatient stay
- Promotes the clinical workflow efficiencies and care delivery
- Assists with satisfaction and retention of physicians and employees
7/17/2020 - Besser Foundation Offers Generous Support for Patient Tower Project
5/28/2020 - Virtual Groundbreaking Planned for Alpena’s New Patient Tower