Volunteer Opportunities at MidMichigan Home Care
A Special Way of Caring
MidMichigan Home Care provides home nursing, hospice care, home medical equipment and related home health services to patients throughout the middle of Michigan.
MidMichigan Home Care volunteers provide the additional generous touches that help to ensure patients' dignity, comfort and sense of fulfillment. Volunteers have the opportunity to work on either in-office projects or with hospice patients served by MidMichigan.
Hospice Volunteers Help in Many Ways
People who are receiving hospice services at home may need help performing errands and chores, or may enjoy a chat with a friendly visitor. Sometimes family members need rest from the responsibilities of caregiving, and volunteers can provide this respite. Volunteers also assist with special events and projects to brighten hospice patients' lives.
There are many ways to help, depending on your interests and talents:
- Respite Care - Relief for patients' caregivers
- Delivering necessary medical supplies
- Pastoral Services
- Office Assistance
- Community Education
- Fund Raising
- Clerical Assistance
- Handyman Jobs
- Hospice Bereavement Work - Providing additional comfort after a patient's death
Volunteering Has Its Rewards
Volunteers report that working with home health and hospice patients provides its own special rewards, including:
- Fulfillment from helping those in need
- Being part of a professional, dedicated health care team
- Education and understanding about illness and death, including the Hospice philosophy and the impact of illness on family dynamics
- Developing friendships
- Developing new skills, such as listening, communication and office skills
- Ongoing inservices and education
- Learning how to help people going through difficult times
- Experience as a volunteer
- A better awareness of the services the MidMichigan Health family has to offer
How To Become a Volunteer
There is a place for you on the MidMichigan Home Care team. Even if your ability to commit to long-range volunteerism is limited, no gift or talent is too small to help someone in need. Contact the Volunteer Coordinator to learn more about volunteer opportunities in home health care.