Volunteer Opportunities at MidMichigan Medical Center - Gratiot
MidMichigan Medical Center – Gratiot has over 100 dedicated volunteers from a variety of backgrounds, ages and education levels. All of our volunteers have unique reasons for volunteering their time and skills. Our volunteers have the opportunity to be of service to our patients, their families, the staff and the greater community while also gaining the personal satisfaction of knowing that they have helped others.
There are many benefits of volunteering:
- Meet people and make new friends
- Offer your skills and caring spirit
- Gain satisfaction from an accomplishment
- Make a difference
- Feel needed and appreciated
- Add to your resume
- Continue a connection after retirement
- Explore possible career opportunities in the healthcare field
- Learn new skills
- Be creative and productive in your leisure time
- Serve in a leadership role
A minimum commitment of two (2) shifts per month in the service area of your choice is required. However, volunteers may fill as many shifts as their schedule allows. We request a volunteer commits to actively volunteering for a minimum of six (6) months per calendar year.
- Tower Entrance Reception Service: volunteers provide a welcome service at the Medical Center’s main entrance. Additional services include directing patients, relaying messages and delivering mail and flowers; provide customers a way-finding and escort service throughout the Medical Center.
- Surgical Lounge Service: volunteers greet patients and families to a Surgical Lounge Waiting Area. They also offer support to families throughout their stay in the lounge.
- West Entrance Reception Service: Volunteers greet patients and families as they arrive for scheduled medical appointments.
Patient Support Services:
- Infusion Center Service: volunteers provide direct assistance to outpatients and their families in a variety of ways to supplement personalized care such as nutritional foods and beverages, warm blankets, etc.
- Rehabilitation Service: volunteers provide comfort and compassion by assisting patients, their families and visitors with nonclinical needs. Assist staff with assigned tasks that support patient needs.
- Pain Clinic: volunteers assist by making beds, stocking linen and supplies, and transporting patients in a wheelchair.
- Bariatric Services: volunteers assist staff with completing various administrative and non-direct patient care tasks such as assembling packets, making reminder calls to patients for various events, and filing paperwork/charts.
- Pet Therapy Service: Volunteers, along with their dog companions, provide patient visitation. Dogs and volunteer handlers must have obtained membership in a recognized pet therapy program.
- Stitch & Stuff: volunteers caringly sew and create comfort pillows, dignity bags, and tray favors for our patients.
- Student Volunteer Service: volunteers between the ages of 14 and 18 and attending high school (9-12 grades) provide assistance after school and during the summer months. Service may include assisting patients with meal ordering, delivering and retrieving meal trays, and providing patient transportation services, assisting customers in the Gift Shop. Volunteers also deliver cards and flowers to patients.
Fundraising Service - all proceeds donated to MidMichigan Medical Center - Gratiot:
- Gift Shop Service: Volunteers assist with the daily functions of the gift shop, including cashier work, displaying items and providing outstanding customer service.
- Popcorn Service: Volunteers make and sell delicious popcorn. Volunteers also may to choose to transport popcorn in a special wagon throughout the Medical Center.
- Special Fund Raising Events: Volunteers host and assist with various fund raisers (i.e. linens, gifts, books, jewelry, candy and logo wear) held at the Medical Center throughout the year.
If you have further questions, please contact us.