Valuable Assistance for Obtaining a Mammogram
Mammograms are still the best method for detecting breast cancer in its earliest stages – giving women the best chance for successful treatment. Sometimes it can be hard to afford this important screening. Don’t let financial concerns delay you in scheduling a mammogram. MidMichigan Health’s Pardee Cancer Center offers valuable financial assistance. Here are some options that can help you, or someone you love, afford this life-saving screening.
These types of insurance offer partial or full coverage:
- Commercial Insurance – More and more companies are covering mammography as a benefit. Contact your employer or insurance provider to determine eligibility.
- Medicare – Medicare now covers annual mammography for women over 40. In addition, Medicare waives the deductible for screening mammograms, although a co-pay still applies. Secondary insurance may cover your co-pay.
- Medicaid – Most Medicaid programs cover screening mammograms once a year for women over 40. Check with your caseworker to determine eligibility. To apply for coverage, call your local Family Independence Agency.
- Veteran’s Benefits – If you’re a veteran or family member of a veteran, you may qualify for government benefits. Call the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-800-827-1000 or the Mammography Helpline at 1-888-492-7844 to learn more.
Programs for Uninsured and Underinsured Women
If you don’t have insurance or are underinsured, help is available through:
- BCCCP Program – Women over 40 may be eligible for a mammogram and other services through the Breast & Cervical Cancer Control Program (BCCCP). This federal program provides an annual clinical breast exam, mammogram, pelvic exam and Pap smear – all at no charge to women who qualify. For more information, contact our breast health nurse in Midland at (989) 837-9070 or toll free at (888) 626-4547 or at MidMichigan Gratiot Cancer Center in Alma at (989) 463-9307 or toll free at (800) 981-1712.
- Mammography Funds – MidMichigan Medical Center – Midland has two special funds to help women with the cost of a mammogram. Eligibility is limited, and some fees may not be covered. To receive an application, call the Center for Women’s Health toll free at (888) 626-4547.
Before You Schedule Your Mammogram
Contact your physician for a written order, which must be presented on the day of your exam. Then call toll-free (888) 367-2778 to schedule your mammogram at the MidMichigan facility of your choice.
Some providers will cover only one screening mammogram every 12 months (unless you have special documentation from your doctor). So if you get a mammogram on April 15, you must schedule your mammogram the next year on or after April 15 to receive your benefit.
The MidMichigan Difference
The Center for Women’s Health at MidMichigan Medical Center–Midland has been designated a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR). MidMichigan is also one of the only programs in the region to be accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.