About Breast Cancer
Breast Cancer -- The Power of Early Detection
Breast cancer is the second-most-common cancer in women and the second-leading cause of cancer death. Each year breast cancer strikes nearly 200,000 women in the United States, including 6,000 in Michigan. Though these statistics may seem overwhelming, early detection is the best defense. That's why MidMichigan Health's Pardee Cancer Center provides women with state-of-the-art detection tools, as well as access to comprehensive breast cancer information. Should you be diagnosed with breast cancer, we'll do everything possible to ensure that you receive not only advanced treatment, but also individualized support, encouragement and communication.
Take Charge of Your Breast Health
In most cases, the earlier that breast cancer is detected, the more treatable it is. To detect the presence of cancer as early as possible, take charge of your breast health by:
- 1. Doing monthly breast self-exams
- 2. Receiving an annual clinical breast exam by your health care provider
- 3. Getting a mammogram every year if you're over 40 years old
The MidMichigan Difference
The Center for Women’s Health at MidMichigan Medical Center–Midland has been designated a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR). MidMichigan is also one of the only programs in the region to be accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers. Our breast-care centers offer:
- A personal breast health nurse
- Advanced technology and techniques, including image checker, breast MRI, MRI guided breast biopsy, stereotactic breast biopsy, ultrasound guided breast biopsy, sentinel node biopsy and MammoSite
- A process that expedites your referral to breast-health physicians and specialists
- Individual case review and ongoing expertise through multidisciplinary cancer conferences
- Genetic counseling and testing for hereditary breast cancers
- A state-of-the-art mammography facility accredited by the American College of Radiologists (ACR), staffed by licensed professionals and equipped with technology that is certified by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and ACR
- The Pardee Cancer Center, accredited by the American College of Surgeons -- a distinction earned by only one-sixth of the nation's hospitals
- The Breast Health Program at MidMichigan's Center for Women's Health has been accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), a program administered by the American College of Surgeons. This designation is given only to centers that have undergone a rigorous evaluation and performance review, demonstrating compliance with NAPBC's standards.
- MidMichigan Medical Center-Midland has an Oncology Nurse Navigator who guides patients through their course of treatment
- The Maria Mencia Cancer Caregiver Support Network, which offers support for caregivers by linking them with volunteer coaches through a partnership with Cancer Services in Midland
Request a free copy of our brochure, "A Woman's Guide to Wellness."